President Duterte recalls December 14 order on face-to-face instructions
Face-to-face classes cancelled
MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the Department of Education (DepEd) to forego its planned face-to-face classes in areas reported to be low-risk to the COVID-19 next month.
The chief executive issued the directive after a new strain of COVID-19, believed to be more infectious, has been discovered in the United Kingdom (UK) and had already been found in neighboring countries like Malaysia.
In is urgent meeting with the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) attended by medical experts at Malacañang, President Duterte said the government cannot afford to put the lives of children at risk.
“I have allowed the face-to-face classes as pilot projects all over the country,” he said as he recalled the order allowing the face-to-face instructions earlier scheduled for January 2021.
He added it would be a “disaster,” if he doesn’t recall the order.
It will be recalled President Duterte approved the suggestion to resume face-to-face instructions last December 14 specifically for areas considered low-risk for COVID-19.
Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque told Malacañang-based reporters Education Secretary Briones will comply with the directive.
“On her part, DepEd Secretary Briones will implement the President’s instruction to recall limited face-to-face classes,” Secretary Roque said. (Melo M. Acuña)
President Rodrigo Duterte (Screen Grab from Nationwide Address/PTV4/Melo M. Acuna)