Secretary Dar says Philippines will need at least 400,000 metric tons of pork meat this year
MANILA – Agriculture Secretary William Dollente Dar said the country’s hog industry produced some 1.229 million metric tons last year against a requirement of at least 1.6 million metric tons.
“We will do some supply augmentation,” said Secretary Dar in a midday press briefing hosted by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.
The Cabinet secretary said there is a potential deficit of at least 400,000 metric tons this year.
He added the Minimum Access Volume will be increased according to the suggestion of its an advisory council which met yesterday.
He explained not only traders will be allowed to import hog meat in the short term but would also allow hog raisers gain access to the importation.
Secretary Dar said there is a window for meat processors to import what they need.
Asked if they have guarantees against the potential for graft and corrupt practices in the issuance of import permits, Secretary Dar said they have measures to prevent graft and corrupt practices in the Department of Agriculture.
It will be recalled the swine industry suffered immensely with the onset of the African Swine Fever as well as tight COVID-19 lockdown measures. (Melo M. Acuña)
Agriculture Secretary William Dollente Dar. (Screen grab from Malacanang Press Briefing February 9,2021/Melo M. Acuna)